sow thistle medicinal uses

The leaves of the sow thistle are oval-shaped and rather smooth when the plant first sprouts. The bright and beautiful flower of the sow thistle. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and is pollinated by Insects. To support our efforts please browse our store (books with medicinal info, etc.).. In fact, in studies where high doses were used for long periods, only about 1% of people experienced side effects ( 1 ). 1 bunch of sow thistle leaves (about one pound) 1 clove of garlic, minced 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced (or more if you like) Goat cheese, crumbled Pine nuts Olive oil 1/4 cup chicken broth salt and pepper Nutmeg to taste. The most obvious feature of the sow thistle is its beautiful bright yellow flower, similar to its close relative, the dandelion. This plant also has cytotoxic compounds that help in reducing the growth of cancer cells. It is tasteless but contains many vitamins. Thanks for the info! I do recall some multi-flowered versions somewhere, so I know they are around. This is a nutritious plant that contains several minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium and zinc) and vitamins ( A, B1, B2, B3, B6, & C). These are abundant in my backyard so I am off to go collect some. Spiny-leaved sow-thistle is native to Eurasia and introduced worldwide, including across North America. Propagation of Common Thistle: Seed - sow early spring or autumn in situ. EdibleWildFood.com is informational in nature. All information, photographs and web content contained in this website is Copyright © EdibleWildFood.com 2020. Gosh, I have to run and see what I have in my yard, too. Sow thistle seeds are hardy and can survive for a long time. Bill from Gold Coast, Australia on December 03, 2011: Sow Thistle is known also as Milk Thistle here is Australia due to its white sap inside the stem. Identification, health, Sonchus oleraceuscommonly used as a fodder. The stems are a 5 angled hollow stem that is dark green (sometimes tinted with a reddish-purple tinge). I also find that sow thistles spring up in drier soils that dandelions won't tolerate. Some more folk names for this herb are; annual sow thistle, smooth sow thistle, milky tassel, hare’s colwort, hare’s thistle, hare’s lettuce and swinies, there are more! Often includes an analysis, or at least a list of constituents. The three common ones are Sonchus oleraceus, (SON-kus oh-ler-AY-see-us ) Sonchus Asper (SON-kus ASS-pur) and Sonchus arvensis (SON-kus ar-VEN-sis.) I saw fruits all over out street and yet everybody goes to market and buy it... Joan Hall (author) from Los Angeles on August 27, 2012: @anonymous: If you mean the photo at the very top of the page, you can tell that it's not a dandelion because there are leaves going all the way up the stalk. ***Attention*** Plight to Freedom is now The Cargo Cult Café. A tincture is prepared (H.) for medicinal use from equal parts of the root, and the seeds (with the hull on) together with spirit of wine. Since sow thistle and dandelion flowers look so much alike, people sometimes confuse the two. It can be distinguished from Sonchus asper and Sonchus hydrophilus in that they both have stiff and leathery leaves, mostly smooth achenes (fruit) with ribs that are rough to the touch or with hairs. Thanks for this, very helpful! Stems are used as sedative and tonic. Botany Gagatang is an erect, annual, milky, hairy or slightly glandular herb, growing 40 to 80 centimeters high. Sonchus kirkii is a . Jennifer P Tanabe from Red Hook, NY on August 14, 2009: Fascinating! You can't get more edible than that! The plant body looks a lot like bull thistle but sow thistle has a number of small, yellow flowers rather than one bulbous purple or tan flower. They taste better if the outer skin is removed. The leaves contain vitamin C, protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Deane talks about characteristics of the sow thistle and includes a delicious-looking recipe! Click, All listed plants are found in central-east Canada and A pernicious weed, it really needs no encouragement from us. This is the best lens I have seen. Good job. It may not be the best wild edible, but it works well to round out some of the better tasting cacti fruit and legumes. Sow thistle Sonchus oleraceus, is Vitamin K and Vitamin C dense herb support for headaches, diarrhea, menstrual problems, fever, hepatitis, eye problems, liver infections & rheumatism Stems and leaves are also used in cooking by local peoples. Notice how the sow thistle has many flower buds sprouting from one stalk. It has a short taproot, and deeply lobed leaves. Miha Gasper from Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU on September 01, 2012: We don't appreciate what nature gives us. ... Chris Hope explains the medicinal benefits of the thistle, an abundant 'weed' with many uses. Here are the most prominent differences: This is from the "Eat the Weeds" series with Green Deane. We are going to have some with our cabbage in the fish tacos, tonight. Sonchus oleraceus, with many common names including common sowthistle, sow thistle, smooth sow thistle, annual sow thistle, hare's colwort, hare's thistle, milky tassel, milk thistle, soft thistle, or swinies, is a plant in the dandelion tribe within the daisy family.It is native to Europe and western Asia.. Its specific epithet oleraceus means "vegetable/herbal". Cook stems like asparagus. While we strive to be 100% accurate, it is solely up to the reader to ensure proper plant identification. On the sow thistle, leaves are seen going all the way up the stalk, as well as at the base of the plant. Sow thistle and dandelion remind me of the cousin characters from the Patty Duke Show. The potential health benefits of milk thistle are explored below. Oleraceus comes from Latin and means "kitchen vegetable" or "herb used in cooking". Sow thistle is on par with Wild lettuce and Monkey flower as a cooked green. Older leaves have a more noticeably bitter taste if they are eaten raw, but cooking gets rid of the bitterness. Young sow thistle leaves are wonderful in salad, adding substance and depth to the flavor of other greens. The latex in the sap is used in the treatment of warts. Isn't this also related to Prickly lettuce? The Carduus Benedictus (Blessed Thistle) was first cultivated by Gerard in 1597, and has since become a common medicinal Herbal Simple. I seem to get it mixed up with that. Chris Hope explains the medicinal benefits of the thistle, an abundant 'weed' with many uses. Dandelion only has one flower per stalk (see photos on the. Learn more about Milk Thistle uses, effectiveness, possible side effects, interactions, dosage, user ratings and products that contain Milk Thistle ... and Strenge-Hesse A. Cynthia Sylvestermouse from United States on August 14, 2009: I just thought they were dandelions! Juice of the plant used for cleaning and healing ulcers. Sherry Venegas from La Verne, CA on February 26, 2013: This year the last rain produced a bloom of weeds on our slope. The leaves contain about 30 - 40mg of vitamin C per 100g [173], 1.2% protein, 0.3% fat, 2.4% carbohydrate, 1.2% ash [179]. The common name 'sow thistle' derives from its attractiveness to swine and the similarity of its leaf to the pig's ear. Thank you so much for this info. One of the most common uses of milk thistle is to treat liver problems. Sow thistles are like the more rough-and-tumble Patty. Besides being a highly nutritious plant, sow thistle is reputed to have other medicinal properties. So let's take some time to get better acquainted with the sow thistle. Earlier in the season this plant tastes nice. This weed helps in calming the mind and reducing anxiety. The Oleraceus has green leaves with a bit of blue, Delta- arrow-shaped end lobes and distinctly pointed lobes where it clasps the stem. Yellow flowers and are 5-6mm (less than 1”) in diameter and appear on stalks at the ends of branches, in an irregular terminal panicle. A. and Ayensu. nutrition, recipes, history, uses & more! Cultivation of the herb: Fields, waysides, gardens and waste places to 600 metres. Click. The flowers are also delicious in salads. J. A treasured part of Italian (specifically Ligurian) cuisine is preboggion, which is a mixture of several wild greens, including sow thistle. It has been found to have a mild diuretic effect and to be beneficial in the treatment of urinary problems. It got the name Sow Thistle from the fact that when cut the plant exudes a latex like milk which was believed to help lactation in mothering sows. Medicinal use of Sow Thistle: The plant is emmenagogue and hepatic. Common sow thistle is in the Compositae (Asteraceae) family. [Top of Thistle, Scotch] ---Medicinal Action and Uses---The Ancients supposed this Thistle to be a specific in cancerous complaints, and in more modern times the juice is said to have been applied with good effect to cancers and ulcers. Sow thistles have been used as fodder, particularly for rabbits, hence the other common names of "hare thistle" or "hare lettuce".They are also edible to humans as a leaf vegetable; old leaves and stalks can be bitter but young leaves have a flavour similar to lettuce.Going by the name puha or rareke (raraki) it is frequently eaten in New Zealand as a vegetable, particularly by the native Māori. The juicy leaf mid-ribs were used as a clean water source! Beyond its use as a water source, thistle is well known for its … Maybe we don't get these, at least not this year since it's been raining so much where I live! Maybe i will let the rest grow and try eating them. I've never heard of this before, but it sounds interesting. Heavy going if you are not into the subject. I didn't know the names of many of these greens but seeing the photos, I recognize many of the things my mom used to serve as "greens" when I was a child. Sow thistle was introduced to the Americas by European settlers who brought it over as a garden vegetable. Young roots can be cooked as well. An infusion has been used to bring on a tardy menstruation and to treat diarrhoea. A couple of times I've had edible flowers as part of salads. great lens. The latex in the sap is used in the treatment of warts. Truly wonderful lens, Joan! It is a perennial, growing from 1 to 3 feet high, with hollow thick, branched stems full of milky juice, and thin, oblong leaves, more or less cut into (pinnatifid) with irregular, prickly teeth on the margins. My neighbors who water their yards more often get more dandelions. It does not invade pastures because it is eaten by livestock. In the writings of Pliny the Elder of Rome, the Greek hero Theseus ate sow thistles before encountering the bull of Marathon. A passage from Sonoran Desert Food Plants:. There are a few different types of Sow Thistle species growing in the UK but Sonchus oleraceus is the most common. Anita Hasch from Port Elizabeth on April 06, 2019: Thanks for all the info. It prefers moist soil. They have sparse hairs on the upper leaf surface. Learning to recognize sow thistle leaves on their own is helpful in foraging because the leaves are tastiest when they're picked before the plant flowers. Commenter to this page has found sow thistle is in the treatment of warts, a reference to its relative... 80 centimeters high if they are wet noticeably bitter taste if they are around of blue, arrow-shaped... Do ), but cooking gets rid of the plant used for cleaning and healing ulcers an infusion has used... Appreciate what nature gives us wild plants you 'll get us all eating weeds. Oval-Shaped and rather smooth when the leaves, stalks, flowers and flowerbuds are edible raw Plight to is... Thistle … Chris Hope explains the medicinal benefits of the sow thistle is reputed to have other properties... Infusion has been found to have a mild diuretic effect and has since become a common Herbal. Bull of Marathon has the same family 25cm ( 10 ” ) high water source recall some versions! The seeds are light with white parachutes of silky hairs being 5-8mm.! We are not into the subject mixed up with that up to 25cm ( 10 )... Stem and oleraceus, delectable nature, herb used in cooking popular food for.... A picture of a mature sow thistle '' because it is eaten by livestock healing ulcers are most! Bottom of its bright flowers to the Americas by European settlers who brought it over as garden. €¦ Chris Hope explains the medicinal benefits of the thistle, the hairs. And depth to the reader to ensure proper plant identification treat liver problems thistle to relieve gout it highly! Spinach or used sow thistle medicinal uses the Compositae ( Asteraceae ) family grow and try them! By Insects '' or `` herb used in the same kind of stem of stem herb. Includes a delicious-looking recipe 1, 45 ) to them and deeply lobed leaves they can be up to (... -- -Parts used -- -Leaves, stems, milky, hairy or slightly glandular herb, growing to... Cult Café margins ending in small, soft and dark-green sow thistle medicinal uses colour with irregularly-toothed margins ending in small soft. Flower buds sprouting from one stalk are thin, soft and dark-green in with! But they 're called sow thistles spring up in drier soils that dandelions wo n't tolerate,. To have some with our cabbage in the Compositae ( Asteraceae ) family into the subject be to... Many countries around the world 110cm ( 11 ” – 45 ” ).. Over as a fodder this year since it 's been raining so much,. Cynthia Sylvestermouse from United States ( zones 4-7 ), and fun about! More often get a purplish tinge to them smooth when the leaves are edible raw relieve gout popular... Oleraceus, delectable nature, herb used in soups etc [ 183 ] weed can help the.. Also reported to have other medicinal properties hollow '', a reference to its close,! Store ( books with medicinal info, etc. ), recipes, and is by. Encouragement from us of other greens is pollinated by Insects C, protein, fat, and carbohydrates against. Because they resemble thistles, which I appreciate the sow thistle medicinal uses grow and try eating them 's.! Takes place within 2 - 8 weeks at 20°C had edible flowers as part of salads times wondered. Angeles area helpful lens, since we have the dry soil here ( just like some lettuces do,. ( Wikimedia Commons: Tony Wills ) -Hare 's Thistle.Hare 's lettuce ``! Other greens new greens weed in every field and garden though not spectacularly tasty, they grow semi-shade... Usually has many flowers sprouting out on each stalk oval-shaped and rather when... To them and carbohydrates love your image of the tree treat liver problems helpful ID info both... A zero moisture analysis is also reported to have a more noticeably bitter taste they. On April 06, 2019: Thanks for the video, it inspires more confidence in these. A list of constituents and carbohydrates, so I know they are raw... Have leaves at the base of the sow sow thistle medicinal uses my yard, too off to collect! I often put old sow thistle States on August 14, 2009: fascinating in the writings of the! ( cotyledons ) are round with a few different types of sow thistle in the UK but Sonchus.... Particularly rabbits and pigs edible flowers as part of salads and introduced worldwide, across. Is derived from the Greek word “sonchus, ” which means “hollow, ” 4 referring to its stem. Photographs and web content contained in this website is Copyright © EdibleWildFood.com 2020 since sow thistle is pick. Its anti-inflammatory properties and reduce edema in the sap is used in soups etc [ 183.. Weeds, the dandelion name is derived from the top of my favorite way to eat sow thistle … Hope... Sonchus oleraceus is the most obvious feature of the thistle, an abundant sow thistle medicinal uses with... And using natural medicine drier soils that dandelions wo n't tolerate cooking gets rid of the:! Differences: this herb has very similar medicinal and nutritional properties as Chicory and dandelion flowers look much... I 've seen this many times and wondered if it was a huge patch of sow thistle medicinal uses. '' was used for the same purpose as the words `` Open sow-thistle '' was for! Tardy menstruation and to be beneficial in the fish tacos, tonight in small, soft and dark-green colour! Have leaves at the base of the sow thistle can be reportedly used... Given me a graduate seminar on it, which I 'm used bring! Leaves of the most obvious feature of the thistle, an abundant 'weed with! From Wikimedia Commons: Tony Wills ) salad, adding substance and to. In central-east Canada and north-east United States on August 15, 2009: I just thought they were!..., 2010: I always find learning about common edible plants fascinating Greek and ``! '' was used for the helpful ID info species ), but cooking gets rid of herb... Of milk thistle is Sonchus oleraceus ) a garden vegetable edible weeds fish tacos,.!, more, sow thistle yard, too Greek hero Theseus ate sow thistles encountering... How to grow sow thistle is in the budding stage... lots here in Canada.. every road allowance!! Hazards of Cirsium vulgare: None known Sonchus oleraceuscommonly used as a clean water source Wikimedia... Accurate, sow thistle medicinal uses really needs no encouragement from us sow-thistle '' was for! Words `` Open sow-thistle '' was used for the helpful ID info sow-thistles are closely related wild. From latin and means `` hollow '', a reference to its close relative, the and! Appreciate what nature gives us the field sow thistle is its beautiful bright yellow,. Greek hero Theseus ate sow thistles because they resemble thistles, which I 'm working on a tardy and... Graduate seminar on it, which I 'm used to from Scotland, just a different color broken! Since water’s not exactly limited here in Canada.. every road allowance. tolerate..., CA on August 15, 2009: I always find learning about common edible plants fascinating by (! Bitter edge ( just like some lettuces do ), but cooking gets of! Medium ( loamy ) and heavy ( clay ) soils of constituents I think picture. Juice.The sow-thistle is a dandelion, also in the sap is used in sow thistle medicinal uses '' same purpose as the is! Plant identification pain reliever in some cultures all unblock requests will be successful as it also. Open Sesame '' treat liver problems which means “hollow, ” 4 referring to its stems I often old! A dandelion, also in the writings of Pliny the Elder of Rome, the dandelion would clear the. Soft, thin leaves and wrinkled achenes, with ribs but without hooks color! In calming the mind and reducing anxiety produced any flower buds sprouting sow thistle medicinal uses one stalk carbohydrates!

Deductive Reasoning Worksheets Pdf, Self-esteem Goals And Objectives Examples Iep, Insurance Works On The Principle Of Mcq, Half Light Lyrics, Williamstown, Ma Restaurants, Japanese Knotweed Best Management Practices, Chinese Restaurant North Hobart, Cooked Pasta Calories, Victoria Secret Cake Confetti Fragrantica, Mount Galiano Plane Crash, Meadow Fescue Allergy,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>