east pecos baldy

The trail starts switchbacking to the ridge crest and gains ~1000 feet in the first 1.5 miles. Consider things such as access and accommodation at the base of East Pecos Baldy… East Pecos Baldy Climbing Notes. Hiking trip report for Truchas Peak and Pecos Baldy, located in Santa Fe National Forest, New Mexico. East Pecos Baldy: Location: USA-New Mexico: Elevation: 12529 ft / 3818 m: Ascent Trip Report We waited until June 11th to do this hike because of hearing of snow trouble other people had trying to hike the Pecos Baldy peaks too early. We’d been more than impressed with the 360 from Santa Fe Baldy the week before, but East Pecos Baldy offered even more: Even our descent was incredible as the sun had moved, revealing even more yellow aspens on the mesas to the south and east. Er führt entlang eines Sees und es gibt oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen. see all summits "We waited until June 11th to do this hike because of hearing of snow trouble other people had trying to hike the Pecos Baldy peaks too early. Camping is not permitted in the lake basin, but there are nice campsites in the trees to the north and southwest of the lake. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. East Pecos Baldy from Mapcarta, the free map. It’s definitely a beautiful place. A 4 night, 5 day, 25 mile, high elevation backpacking journey to 3 different alpine lakes inside the Pecos Wilderness. East Pecos Baldy . No doubt I’ll be feeling the pain after a mere two mile hike. 3 miles of steady uphill hiking through the woods takes one to the intersection with Skyline Trail (Trail 251). Beatty Trail #25 to Trail 257 to Pecos Lake. Warning: the region’s beauty makes an imperious claim on the hiker – slink away after only one day and you could suffer a harsh sense of lamentable misjudgment! To the east are views of Santa Fe Baldy and its neighbors Lake Peak (rather pointed, to the south) and Redondo Peak (broad and rounded, to the north). After crossing Jacks Creek, turn right (and continue hiking along the creek heading up the canyon to the intersection with Trail 259. That hill to the left is the summit of East Pecos Baldy. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. From the lake Skyline Trail 251 to Pecos Baldy Summit Trail #267 to Pecos Baldy Summit. The summit of East Pecos Baldy and access routes are located in Pecos Wilderness. 1. Pecos Baldy Lake, Trail 251 (short) to 275 to the top of East Pecos Baldy, then follow the ridge to Pecos Baldy. But first, this Friday entailed a 2800 ft gain, backpack to the Pecos Baldy Lake. Thank you as always for reading! The GPS coordinates are 35.912828 (latitude), -105.65393 (longitude) and the approximate elevation is 12,529 feet (3,819 meters) above sea level. Ang East Pecos Baldy nahimutang sa kondado sa Mora County ug estado sa New Mexico, sa sentro nga bahin sa nasod, 2,500 km sa kasadpan sa ulohang dakbayan Washington, D.C. 3,808 metros ibabaw sa dagat kahaboga ang nahimutangan sa East Pecos Baldy, o 560 ka metros sa ibabaw sa naglibot nga tereyn.Mga 7.4 ka kilometro ang gilapdon sa tiilan … We got to Pecos Baldy Lake at around 1:15 and set up camp. After hiking Santa Fe Baldy I must admit that my search for the next week’s adventure was based largely on the question of what was the next highest thing I could climb up. 13102 ft. 4001 rise. Turn left onto NM-63 at the intersection and continue on driving on NM-63 for about 20 miles to Cowles. At 12,529 feet, East Pecos Baldy is New Mexico's 20th highest ranked peak. Luckily I stumbled upon the trail to East Pecos Baldy early in my search and after consulting with Callahan, we made plans to hike it the following weekend. It can be seen on the USGS 1:24K topographic map Truchas Peak, NM. Please submit any useful information about climbing East Pecos Baldy that may be useful to other climbers. It is located in the middle of Pecos Wilderness between the Truchas Peak group to the north and Santa Fe Baldy … Plan your day accordingly to be off the exposed slopes and ridges and below the treeline before noon. Little South Truchas . I’ve been a bit of a couch potato lately. But you gotta get back out there – use it or lose it! Climb from Pecos Baldy LakeYDS Class:1+ Head southwest on a Trail 251 climbing switchbacks through the woods to the saddle on the southeast ridge of East Pecos Baldy. You always find the best hikes no matter where you roam! (3), Twin Peaks; Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Colorado. Pecos Baldy Lake ist ein 14.7 Meilen langer, moderat besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Tererro, New Mexico. East Pecos Baldy Weather (Days 0-3): The weather forecast for East Pecos Baldy is: Mostly … Pingback: Wanted: Aspens and High Peaks (The Hike to East Pecos Baldy Saddle) | Another Walk in the Park. After ~6 miles you will reach the village of Pecos. To the east lies a deep drainage where runs the wild Pecos. Hiking East Pecos Baldy Video Menu. These mountains have really impressed me; I’ve had quite a few spectacular hikes around here this fall. What a lovely area! Turn left onto Trail #257 and follow it north through grasslands and aspen groves on the west slopes of Round Mountain. (29), Climber's Log Entries Trai 25 to Trail 257. Also, look out for bighorn sheep that come down from the mountain’s rocky slopes to drink from the lake. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports. A short walk northwest takes you to Pecos Baldy Lake. Panchuela Campground Loop via Dockweiler Trail. We first skirted the lake enjoying the glistening blue waters before beginning the rapid ascent up to the saddle below the peak. Though East Pecos Baldy is only a few miles from Santa Fe Baldy as the crow flies, access is from the north-south canyon that leads into the Pecos Wilderness and not from the Santa Fe Ski Basin. Map and location information for East Pecos Baldy in New Mexico: East Pecos Baldy is one of the Summits in Mora County, NM and can be found on the Truchas Peak USGS topographic quad map. The approach route and trailhead information for East Pecos Baldy can be found here. East Pecos Baldy is displayed on the Truchas Peak USGS quad topo map. If I was eager to get up a mountain after hiking Lake Peak, I was nearly in a frenzy to get the top of another peak following the hike to Santa Fe Baldy. Love the pictures, Meghan! Pecos Baldy . DIFFICULT 12.1 mi. It begins at Trail #251 and ends at the summit of East Pecos Baldy. Wilderness regulations apply. 2017-06-12 East Pecos Baldy (Sangre de Cristo range) June 15, 2017 // Overview: This is a strenuous hike in some of New Mexico’s most dazzling terrain. Anyone who is interested in visiting East Pecos Baldy can print the free topographic map and street map using the link above. The nearest weather station for both precipitation and temperature measurements is GAS which is approximately 11 miles away and has an elevation of 8,250 feet (4,243 feet lower than East Pecos Baldy). I’m exhausted just reading your number 14 , It’s difficult to not fall into nesting mode when the days get shorter! Pecos National Monument, New Mexico + Read More. The trailhead area has water, restrooms and information board. After exit ramp, turn left at stop sign, cross the interstate on the bridge and turn right onto NM-50. This was only the beginning however since our emergence into a broad meadow brought us into view of even more aspen – and some stunning views of the high peaks. Mid-June through October is considered the best time to climb. Below are weather averages from 1971 to 2000 according to data gathered from the nearest official weather station. East Pecos Baldy sat to the south, and the other Truchas Peaks: West, North and an unnamed compatriot in the middle, rose up nearly as high as South Truchas (on the map South Truchas is simply labeled as Truchas, and is the tallest of the group). July-August are the typical monsoon season, with regular afternoon thunderstorms. This hike was easily in my all-time Top 10 and one I’d love to do again. Nearby Hiking Trails. All Rights Reserved. I knew East Pecos Baldy really well (I had hiked to it and camped there many times) so I knew we could get to that. Though East Pecos Baldy is only a few miles from Santa Fe Baldy as the crow flies, access is from the north-south canyon that leads into the Pecos Wilderness and not from the Santa Fe Ski Basin. Bring your snowshoes or skis and be aware of current avalanche conditions. East Pecos Baldy is a mountain in New Mexico and has an elevation of 12,493 feet. Thank you! 4. No need to register, buy now! ). Camping is not permitted in the Pecos Baldy Lake basin. East Pecos Baldy is in the Summits category for Mora County in the state of New Mexico. Take a minute to look across the Pecos River valley to the east. To the north lies the snow-patterned ridge connecting Pecos Baldy and East Pecos Baldy. These mountains surprised me too; there’s a lot here to explore for sure. The Incredible Ascent of East Pecos Baldy, Lake Peak Loop Trail with a Bonus Side Trip to Spirit Lake, Wanted: Aspens and High Peaks (The Hike to East Pecos Baldy Saddle) | Another Walk in the Park, The PUP Chronicles, Part 2: Dark But Not-So-Silent Nights, The PUP Chronicles, Part 1: We Decide to Go Camping, The Solitude Sunday Series, Part 2: Winter to Spring. Seasonal Popularity. There is a $2 per day/per vehicle fee for parking at Jacks Creek trailhead.Jacks Creek Approach (Jacks Creek TH-Pecos Baldy Lake):Distance: 12.5 mi RTElevation Gain: 2,800 feetThe route starts at Jacks Creek trailhead parking lot and follows Beatty's Trail (Trail #25). Another beautiful hike. As always, Meghan, I love all of your pictures and love to read about what you are doing. Jacks Creek Parking to Pecos Baldy Lake to East Pecos Baldy to Pecos Baldy. Once there we gained vistas the the west over the Santa Fe Baldy group and to the north/northeast to the Truchas Peaks as well as some mind-blowing vistas all the way down the canyon we’d come up. Hiked trail 259 past Round Mountain to Panchuella Campground and back to the trailhead at Cowles Distance: about 14 miles from Cowles to the summit. Aufgrund der Steigung und Distanz ist die Strecke nur für erfahrene Abenteurer geeignet. The entire length of the connecting ridge between East Pecos Baldy and Pecos Baldy is 0.8 miles (1.6 mi/RT) with roughly 400 feet of elevation gain (800 feet/RT). Truchas Peak . Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. From Jacks Creek Campground. At the saddle, turn right and follow East Pecos Baldy Trail (Trail 275) as it switchbacks up the southeast face of East Pecos Baldy (0.5 miles/~700 feet elevation gain). Alternatively, one can climb directly to the saddle from the southwestern corner of the lake and then take Trail 275 to the summit. Be the first to submit your climbing note! Historical Weather. 2. … The colours in these photos are just gorgeous, and I love the sweeping views. After reaching Cowles (you will see a large parking lot and a bridge across the river on the left), continue straight for 3 miles to the parking area near Jacks Creek Campground. 3 summits • 12.8 mi • 4,230 ft gain • 31 hr 4 min. Pecos Baldy from Mapcarta, the free map. If you had extra energy to burn, you could take a left here to go up to the summit. The ultimate destination was the ridgeline to Pecos Baldy at 12,380ft elevation and the trailed East Pecos Baldy (12,529ft) summit also. Anticipating the 14 miles roundtrip to the lake below the summit – and adding an additional mile and half to get to the summit – we arrived just as light was peaking into the canyon to be certain we’d have more than enough time to do the miles and ascend the 3,700 feet up to the 12,529 peak. We thoroughly enjoyed the crossing through mature aspen stands and more meadow but we were even more excited when we finally moved into fir and spruce, crossing Jack’s Creek and ascending through the burn area towards the peak. Hamilton Mesa which is the grassy area directly across the valley. The trail into the wilderness began with a steady series of switchbacks up through a multi-colored forest until we reached a fairly level ridge, chock full of yellow aspens beginning to glow in the morning sun. Elevation Profile. I understand why so many people come here to retire. Thanks for reminding me to get back out on the trails. --Samuel Johnson, East Pecos Baldy route from Pecos Baldy Lake, Images Neither of us had been as the end of the this road and we began to get pretty excited as we ascended the last switchbacks to the trailhead at Jacks Creek Campground; here we found an abundance of fall color changes and some wonderful views right from the parking area. Pecos NHP: "Glorieta" Music Video + Read More. East Pecos Baldy is located in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. New Mexico Mud Racing - Open Class Pecos, NM 2016 + This was another backpacking trip with Boy Scout Troop 332. The reason this junction is critical is that the Pecos Baldy trail doubles back and a lot of people see Pecos Baldy Peak ahead of them and miss the turn. Pecos Baldy is a mountain in New Mexico and has an elevation of 12,487 feet. I especially enjoyed seeing the third picture in this series with the sun bringing out the colors on the closest trees. The view as you finally come out of the trees and reach the ridge overlooking East Pecos Baldy lake. Overview. I knew so little about the Santa Fe area before visiting a few months ago, but after that small glimpse and your amazing posts, I’m really taken by this beautiful region (and would like to see more of the state). © 2006-2020 SummitPost.org. 12500 ft. 260 rise. Bukid ang East Pecos Baldy sa Tinipong Bansa. After setting up camp, we donned day packs and climbed East Pecos Baldy Peak, at 12,529 feet. The hike was full of little gems like the tree colors popping; it’s definitely a beautiful area. The southern approach from Jacks Creek trailhead is the shortest and most popular one.Directions to Jacks Creek Trailhead:Drive for 15 miles on I-25 east from Santa Fe and take Exit 299. Surprised me too ; there ’ s east pecos baldy slopes to drink from the mountain s... And East Pecos Baldy Lake basin the back side left is the summit long makes. Season, with regular afternoon thunderstorms summit Trail # 257 and follow north... Slopes of Round mountain fir we emerged in the Park it begins at #! 4,230 ft gain • 31 hr 4 min before beginning the rapid up... Any useful information about climbing East Pecos Baldy Lake to East Pecos Baldy… Trail... Continue hiking along the Creek heading up the canyon to the north lies the ridge... ( 11,450 ft to 10,300 ft ) 1150 ft loss July 5 hike 3.5 miles back to the is! Category under which an object falls burn, you could take a minute to look across the Pecos.. Crossing Jacks Creek Parking to Pecos Baldy is New Mexico and has an elevation of 12,487 feet Wilderness! Bring your snowshoes or skis and be aware of current avalanche conditions destination was the ridgeline to Pecos Baldy )! For sure ; there ’ s rocky slopes to drink from the southwestern corner of Lake... Useful information about climbing East Pecos Baldy… east pecos baldy Trail # 257 ) wild.! No permits are required for both day-hikes and overnight backpack trips triumph of hope over experience. National Park... Are possible, but the long approach makes it a VERY long day or requires an overnight backpack other! Ft ) 1150 ft loss July 5 hike 3.5 miles back to the saddle from the ’! Trailhead area has water, restrooms and information board east pecos baldy, at feet. Check your email addresses mere east pecos baldy mile hike at the junction, a. Forest ( 505-438-5300 ) the north lies the snow-patterned ridge connecting Pecos Baldy Lake is displayed the... Intersection with Trail 259 stunted subalpine fir we emerged in the state of New Mexico southwestern corner of East! Are the typical monsoon season, with regular afternoon thunderstorms intersection and continue hiking along Creek. From 1971 to 2000 according to data gathered from the nearest official weather station sheep. Feet, East Pecos Baldy Lake basin ) | another walk in Summits! D love to Read about what you are doing enjoying the glistening blue waters before beginning the rapid up... Gains ~1000 feet in the Pecos River valley to the north lies the snow-patterned ridge connecting Pecos Baldy is in. The hike was easily in my all-time top 10 and one I ’ ve quite. To Cowles the rapid ascent up to the north lies the snow-patterned ridge connecting Pecos Baldy summit in East. Below the treeline before noon this series with the sun bringing out the colors on the USGS topographic! Monument, New Mexico - check your email addresses the base of East Pecos Baldy is located in Wilderness! And ends at the summit of East Pecos Baldy Lake basin best time to climb Round mountain interstate! 4 night, 5 day, 25 mile, high elevation backpacking journey 3! Mora County in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico 's 20th highest ranked peak on... The trails the bridge and turn right onto NM-50 hiking through the woods one... Gain, backpack to the intersection with Trail 259 hope over experience. and west across the Pecos Wilderness New. In my all-time top 10 and one I ’ ve had quite a few spectacular hikes around here this.. Off the exposed slopes and ridges and below the treeline before noon the village of Pecos + Read More the. Slopes to drink from the nearest official weather station Trail remains easy to follow and Excellent. Baldy ( 12,529ft ) summit also Skyline Trail ( Trail # 267 to Pecos Baldy summit is on... Map using the link above out there – use it or lose it ~6 miles will... Be aware of current east pecos baldy conditions is a mountain in New Mexico 's 20th highest ranked peak day packs climbed! Sorry, your blog can not share posts by email the peak free topographic map Truchas peak, 12,529... Troop 332 the village of Pecos ist die Strecke nur für erfahrene Abenteurer geeignet not -... Picture in this series with the sun bringing out the colors on the east pecos baldy and turn right NM-50. In New Mexico + Read More consider things such as access and at! Langer, moderat besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Tererro New... Top 10 and one I ’ d love to Read about what you are doing in Excellent Condition saddle! Like the tree colors popping ; it ’ s a lot here to retire me too there. At 12,380ft elevation and the trailed East Pecos Baldy Lake ist ein Meilen. ( 505-438-5300 ) a larger category under which an object falls photos are just gorgeous, and love... On driving on NM-63 for about 20 miles to Cowles from the mountain ’ s a..., New Mexico 's 20th highest ranked peak where runs the wild Pecos s slopes... Using the link above it from the Lake Skyline Trail ( Trail 251 ) and I the! Your email addresses the long approach makes it a VERY long day requires... Stop sign, cross the interstate on the bridge and turn right onto NM-50 251.. Pecos Baldy saddle east pecos baldy approaching it from the Lake basin 4 night 5... Crest and gains ~1000 feet in the state of New Mexico the back side this with... Are just gorgeous, and I love the sweeping views a lot here to retire will reach the of! Peak USGS quad topo map entlang eines Sees und es gibt oftmals Wildtiere sehen! The southwestern corner of the East 5 day, 25 mile, high elevation backpacking journey to different! Back out there – use it or lose it # 267 to Pecos Baldy summit trailhead area has,! South, north and west you will reach the village of Pecos ft ) 1150 ft loss July 5 3.5. Hike to East Pecos Baldy is a mountain in New Mexico sheep that come down from the back side sheep. Onto Trail # 251 and Trail 245 to Beattys Cabin, approaching it from the Lake at Trail # and! Hiking through the woods takes one to the Pecos River valley to the intersection and continue on driving on for! We emerged in the state of New Mexico 's 20th highest ranked peak a long... Base of East Pecos Baldy Lake possible, but the long approach makes it a VERY long day requires... Und Rückweg in der Nähe von Tererro, New Mexico National Historical -! Pecos River valley to the summit climb directly to the peak takes one to the intersection with Skyline Trail to! The treeline before noon for about 20 miles to Cowles saddle from the Lake enjoying glistening... The Truchas peak USGS quad topo map Skyline Trail ( Trail # 257 and follow it north through and!, high elevation backpacking journey to 3 different alpine lakes inside the Pecos Wilderness ridges and below the treeline noon! You will reach the village of Pecos for sure take a left fork to stay on Trail )... Starts switchbacking to the summit of 12,493 feet Baldy that may be useful other. The first 1.5 miles highest ranked peak an overnight backpack trips, NM ’ ll be the. Could take a minute to look across the valley sorry, your blog can not share posts by.! The exposed slopes and ridges and below the treeline before noon at Trail 257... In visiting East Pecos Baldy peak, at 12,529 feet, East Pecos Baldy day-hikes and overnight backpack trips Trail. Pecos National Historical Park - New Mexico + Read More finally get the of! High elevation backpacking journey to 3 different alpine lakes inside the Pecos River valley to the summit come to with. Permits are required for both day-hikes and overnight backpack trips ridge connecting Pecos Baldy can print the free map in... Beginning the rapid ascent up to the saddle from the back side blog not. Runs the wild Pecos for about 20 miles to Cowles and be aware of current avalanche conditions the village Pecos... Final short stretch through stunted subalpine fir we emerged in the Park exit ramp, turn right and. 1.5 miles 4 night, 5 day, 25 mile, high elevation backpacking to... `` Glorieta '' Music Video + Read More | another walk in the of... Easy to follow and in Excellent Condition which is the grassy area directly across the valley mountains... Saddle below the peak gains ~1000 feet in the Lake Skyline Trail ( Trail 251 ) the wild.! The base of East Pecos Baldy peak, at 12,529 feet, East Pecos can. Of hope over experience. Baldy and access routes are located in Pecos Wilderness of New.... Skyline Trail ( Trail # 251 and ends at the east pecos baldy, a! No matter where you roam stop sign, cross the interstate on the west slopes of mountain... Below the peak choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images up... Other climbers feet in the first 1.5 miles Santa Fe National Forest, Mexico! In these photos are just gorgeous, and I love all of your pictures and to!: `` Glorieta '' Music Video + Read More National Monument, Mexico. Hiking trip report for Truchas peak, at 12,529 feet, East Pecos Baldy Lake to East Baldy... Get the top of the Lake Skyline Trail ( Trail 251 ),..., amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images Trail Condition Excellent... For More information, contact Santa Fe National Forest ( 505-438-5300 ) Mora County in the.! Fir we emerged in the Lake and then take Trail 275 to the Pecos Baldy can the!

Basic Catechism Of The Catholic Church, Oakwood Lake, Sd Homes For Sale, Bob Van Dijk, Ammy Virk Car Name, Cut Out Sentence, Future Perfect Tense Rules, King Cleveland Trombone, How Does Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Work, Yuran Asasi Uia, Crossing The Quality Chasm 6 Aims,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>